New Fire Chief + Vaccines Boosters + Road Safety Improvements
Have a nice day, neighbors! It’s me again, Bill Maune, your host for Middletown Daily. If you missed the first edition of your Guide to All Local Activities, you can make up for it here!
First of all, the weather forecast for the day: Cloudy. High 81F. Winds from the S at 5 to 10 mph.
Here are the best stories in Middletown today:
- The city of Middletown Fire Department will have a new Fire Chief, John “Jay” Woron II, if it is approved by the Common Council. Mayor Florsheim chose him to replace the retired chef Robert kronenberger and deputy chief Albert Leary earlier in the summer. Woron, a 24 year old Middletown veteran, oversaw the department’s training, EMS and safety divisions. (Middletown Press)
- Booster doses of Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccine will be available soon in Connecticut for people who are moderately to severely immunocompromised. Information on eligibility and clinic locations is available on the City’s website. (City of Middletown)
- A part of Spring Street in the north of the city has been converted to a one-way road to improve the safety of pedestrians and children nearby Macdonough Elementary School. Middletown cycle paths are also planned to run from the North End through the city to Veterans Park. (Middletown Press)
- Help fill the shelves for Amazing Grace Pantry. Local civic groups Altrusans, Civitans and Soroptimists join the St. Pius community to collect food, personal items, school supplies and monetary donations to stock the pantry shelves. Saturday August 21, 8 a.m.-12 p.m. Church of St. Pius X lower parking lot. (Facebook)
Today’s Middletown Daily is brought to you by Ring, manufacturers of home alarm systems. Ring alarm systems start from $ 199, and Ring offers free advice over the phone on how to set up a system in your own home. Click here to find out more. Thank you Ring for helping to shake up the local news in Middletown!
Today in Middletown
- Auction at Smokey Bones NorthShore Mall Peobody Mass (10:30 am)
- Principles and practices of virtual real estate brokers (9h00)
- Laughter Yoga with Mylène – The Buttonwood Tree Performing Arts & Cultural Center (3:00 p.m.)
- Hot Fingers Trivia at 1741 Pub & Grill @ Lyman Orchards! (6:00 p.m.)
- Laughter Class (Yoga) – Middlesex County Chamber (7:00 p.m.)
- Laughter Yoga with Mylène (7:00 p.m.)
Middletown Patch Book
- Middletown – Connecticut Police Department: “Free car seat screening at Middletown Fire Department – please email [email protected] for an appointment.” (Facebook)
- Downtown Middletown, Connecticut: “Looking for events in our downtown area and beyond? Be sure to check out our calendar of events! (Facebook)
- BPOE Middletown Lodge # 771: “Middletown Elks Summer Music Series continues this Friday August 20 with music from” Triple Play “on our patio. (Facebook)
From our sponsors – thank you for supporting the local news!
- Epilepsy Foundation of CT 34th Annual Mud Volleyball Tournament (August 21)
- 2021 Divinely Fit Fest (August 21)
- Roaring 20’s Antique & Classic Car Club 50th Anniversary Show (August 22)
Please follow and stay informed. See you tomorrow for another update! If you like these newsletters, consider bringing friends and neighbors with you. You can send them this link to subscribe.
– Bill Maune
About me: I have contributed to the Patch since March 2012 and became a Star Patcher in 2014, then a Patch Mayor in 2020. I have lived in Connecticut since the 1960s and am dedicated to educating the public about people and organizations in our Middletown community that are doing good in our neighborhood or elsewhere! I bring my camcorder to events to share their stories about the Patch and other media. I always want to learn and write about events and / or topics that you feel are important and I can help you share !!
Got a tip or suggestion for an upcoming Middletown Daily? You can email me at [email protected]