Sawan Pradosh Vrat 2021: Know the history, puja vidhi, mantra and other details about this special vrat
Sawan Pradosh Vrat 2021: Lord Moon was once cursed and suffered from a miserable illness. After severe penance and prayers, on that day Lord Shiva freed him from curse and sickness.
New Delhi | Jagran Lifestyle Desk: Pradosh Vrat which falls during Shrawan is known as Sawan Pradosh Vrat 2021. It is one of the important vrats where devotees worship Lord Shiva and observe a one day fast to seek his blessings. This special day falls on the thirteenth day of the lunar fortnight or Trayodashi tithi twice a month. This month the Pradosh Vrat falls on August 5, 2021, the Krishna Paksha of trayodashi tithi i.e. Thursday, and when it falls on Guruwar or Brihaspatiwar it is known as Guru Pradosh.
Sawan Pradosh Vrat 2021: History
According to Hindu mythology, the Devas seek the help of Lord Shiva at the auspicious time of Pradosh on trayodashi because they were threatened by demons. Lord Shiva accepted their request and assured them of his help. Not only that, another story indicates that on this day Lord Shiva drank the poison that emerged during Samundra manthan. Moreover, on this day of trayodashi Pradosh, Lord Shiva came out of stupor. On the back of the bull Nandi, he made the tandav (a form of dance) and this is the reason why the devotees worship Nandi.
Moreover, Lord Moon was once cursed and suffered from a miserable illness. After severe penance and prayers, on that day Lord Shiva freed him from curse and sickness.
Sawan Pradosh Vrat 2021: Puja Vidhi
– Since Pradosh Vrat puja is performed in the evening, then before starting, take a bath and wear clean clothes.
– Visit the temples of Shiva for Abhishek and offer Ganga holy water, milk, ghee, honey, curds, sugar, etc. to Lord Shiva and keep chanting “Om Namah Shivaya”
– Make tilak with chandan and offer dhatura, bhel patra and incense stick.
– Chant Mahamrityunjay mantra, Shiv Chalisa and pradosh vrat katha.
– Conclude the puja by performing the aarti of Lord Shiva and Devi Gauri.
Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra
oá¹ tryÃ¡mbakaá¹ yajÄmahe sughandhÃá¹ puá¹£á¹ivardhÃ¡nam
urvÄrukam iva bandhÃ¡nÄn má¹tyor muká¹£Ä«ya mÄmá¹tÄt
Sawan Pradosh Vrat 2021: Fasting rituals
– Get up early in the morning, take a bath and wear clean clothes
– Make a vow to fast religiously
– Do not consume non-vegetarian products or alcohol
– Do not consume rice, whole wheat, onion, garlic, brinjal, etc.
– Avoid the use of swear words
– Eat only vrat items such as potatoes, sabudana, fruits, etc.
– Do meditation and connect with your inner self
– Maintain celibacy while observing the vrat